Friday, October 21, 2016

Gear

This is a list of some of the things I'll take with me. I'll start with the bike. 

The frame is a Genesis Equilibrium 725 and it's fitted with Shimano 105 components.
The front wheel has a Shimano Dynamo hub. A cable runs up the fork to the light in the photo below.
I've added a Busch and Müller Luxos U front light. A cable runs from the light to the handlebars and acts a USB charger for phone or cameras.
The frame is built with Reynolds 725 Heat-Treated Chromoly which is hopefully tough enough to survive the flight. The fork is carbon. 

I'll carry all my stuff in a waterproof Ortlieb pannier bag. I don't plan on camping so it should be enough. I'll attach a Tortec rear rack which I've used for the last 6 years without problems. The back light attached to the rack is a Busch and Müller operating on 2 AAA batteries

I'll bring 3 jerseys, 3 shorts and and 3 pairs of socks. Why 3? The first 3 days of the trip will be in Basque Country with 3 friends that I work/worked with in Dublin. Then I'll spend 3 days on the visiting my brother David in Logroño. I'll cycle there from Bilbao and the plan to spend a 2 days cycling to the wine bodegas. It should take 3 days to travel from Logroño to Leon with my friend Leeroy who will fly in for the last 600km to Santiago. From Leon to Santiago is another 3 days hopefully.

I'll wear a pair of Shimano mountain bike shoes on the bike that you can walk around in without sounding like a woman in heels. I'll also take some walking shoes for the evening. Other bike stuff will be a helmet, gloves, base layers and a buff for keeping the neck warm. The raincoat I'll use is a Shimano Storm. That's the only jacket I'll take on the trip.

I won't take many clothes for the evening. A few t-shirts, 1 pair of jeans + shorts, boxers and socks... I'll bring a microfiber towel from decathlon.

A cheap cateye cycling computer is attached to the handlebars. I've attached crud mud guards in case of rain. The back light on the seatpost was a cheap enough light from smart. 2 water bottles will be attached to the frame. They are Camelback Podium and the best bottles I´ve ever owned. I'll keep a pump, 2 spare tubes, a spare tire, repair kit, bike lock, multi-tool and a spoke wrench in the pannier bag. 

A lot of the rest of the items are obvious like money, phone, camera...

Tomorrow I fly to Biarritz to begin the trip. I'll spend my Friday night finishing up the packing.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun trip.
    Though Romain looks pretty embaressed of Abrahan :)

    ReplyDelete